Saturday, March 11, 2006

More Photos of Charikar...

One of my coworkers, the one from Colorado, decided to bound off, and up the hill (the house off below in the left corner...a few of us, not quite bounding, followed.

A guard was sent in chase, after the first coworker, he would run up a bit, stop and look back at me with an exasperated smile, and with a side-to-side nod of the head take off again.

There were some locals enjoying the view, and others like the above, carrying big bundles of sticks across the mountains. But they were merely walking across the face of the mountain...amatures...

The spring carved from the face of the mountain. A pipe from this snaked down the face to the house we were at below.

I did learn that being short and squat helps in getting down mountains quickly...but it wasn't polite to those behind...

Came back down to find this, but at some point, we all ended up taking a nap during the day, so it wasn't really that different than any other work day...

And most thankfully, I got the required "Old Man on Donkey" photo on the way back.

And there was the hazy Kabul at the base of the valley below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my coworkers, the one from Colorado, decided to bound off, and up the hill

Eeeeek... Yeah, one of our expat staff did the same in Hazarajat once, and found herself in the middle of a mined area.

quasim said...

Yeah, I don't know if he asked about the area being demined, but I surely did, and there were a lot of locals walking around (though I don't think that necessarily indicates anything), but it was an gov't recreation area, and given who our host was, I think we were OK.