Friday, August 11, 2006

Fighting Time

Its been a while since I’ve last posted, and since I’ve been home. Both are being remedied. At least one, thankfully (and I'm posting pictures, but I don't think they really count). The posting and the trip home, to me, both seem intrinsically tied. The first few weeks after my arrival here, though I could watch it fade, there was the immediate excitement and newness. Then for the intervening time, there has still been the uniqueness. As familiar as I am with much of this culture, it's not what I had been living in for the whole of my life. That uniqueness, or perhaps better stated as "distinctness" (as every place has its own mix of the universal and unique) at nearly 10 months, isn’t quite there anymore, and so less things get noticed and thought about.

And work has become nearly all-consuming over the past few weeks especially, besides just the new roles I’ve taken on in the past few months. Without trying to say too much, as things are politically sensitive these days, there was an article in the WaPo that discussed much of what we’re involved in and working on. There are a lot of concerns, and thus stress, and so I feel somewhat guilty about leaving at this juncture. But I need it, and soon enough I’ll be overdue on the trip home.

In the mean time, to help curtail the “I’m gettin’ the hell out” sentiment, I’m trying to be appreciative of the things that are quite nice here. After all, I’ll be coming back to them after a few weeks. So on the list, and excuse my superficiality, are daily laundry (though that got annoying so I’ve switched to two or three times a week, but the dude still comes to my door every day asking for my laundry) picked up from and delivered to my room—folded and ironed to boot. See, look below. That, I need to appreciate.


And speaking of my room, I nearly never have to leave it, the exceptions being meetings and food. If I could only get them to bring my plate to my room too... So this all facilitates my laziness way more than is healthy. Spending 20 hours in a room has its pros and cons. The laziness and only having to move a few feet to do most of what I need to do in a day being the main pro. The laziness and having to spend 20 hours in a room being the main con. It is a zero commute, but I wake up and see my desk. Then at the end of the day, I go to bed, and see my desk. You too can see my desk below. Yeah I know, freshman year dorm. But I’m approaching 30 now, and don’t play computer games all day. Yet, there is no commute. At all.


While I’m home, even visiting friends, I imagine I’ll be fighting DC area traffic. Right now all I have to fight is black hole like gravity of my bed...actually, I may be worse off now on that regard.

I’ll be busy, and likely not posting for a while (and I don’t know why I’m putting that point up as it’s been several weeks since the last post) as I get things ready and in place for my absence of a few weeks. Then I’ll be home, and probably not posting much. Not caring about time. Not noticing that the time since something has been too long, or the time till something is too short. Not caring about time, for a time of three weeks, will be nice.

Will be seeing many of you (OK...most of you, besides the random Sudan and Ireland readers) soon.

11 comments:

pumuckl said...

enjoy :-)

I like what u r saying about the "distinctiveness" of a place.

and talk about leaving your room, getting your laundry delivered daily, having a cook....

not caring about time is wonderful. just do it!

quasim said...

Pum,
Thanks. But is that a sly attempt at correcting my grammer or word choice?...choosing "distinctiveness" over "distinctness"??

And yeah, I need to get out of my room more and not care about time. Though I have to care untill several days before I get to get out. Enjoy your time in the north and stay safe...q

Anonymous said...

Get out of your room to come to my farewell party. Tuesday night. My place.

NegativeMode said...

Hmm, perhaps a trip to the DC Metro region is in order. I'll make sure to bring Uptown Saturday Night.

quasim said...

Nmode,
Have you talked to Dan E. recently? He's coming to DC too. And yeah, you mos def need to bring that drop, and when is the new one coming out?

Also, I'd suggest us going for a ride or meet up at Point of Rocks, but my bike is broke. I'll try to see if I can get it fixed in a decent time while I'm home.

Will drop you a line when I'm home. Talk to Dan, and get BrownBear to come out east too...q

NegativeMode said...

As you may or may not know, BrownBear and TrinhDiesel will be in State College, PA this weekend for my wedding. Are you actually going to be back by this weekend? Shoot me an email if yes....

quasim said...

I didn't know that BB and TD will be coming there, but that makes sense, and I kinda forgot (you had mentioned) the wedding being this weekend. Congrats again to you and the backseat rider.

Unfortunately, wont be in the US until Monday.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are definitely returning. You've been missed. Can't wait to see you! - KW

Anonymous said...

Hey! You're back! Are you still maybe coming out here for a visit?

quasim said...

Ms. D,
I'm back. Still thinking about visiting SF, but trying to see if I can fit it in. Will keep you informed...q

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!